Dublin Saab

Cars, politics, sports and what not from my view. (Closed Sundays and Holidays)

Tuesday, May 24, 2005

BOTD: Jenlain Farmhouse Ale

Today’s beer is Jenlain French Farmhouse Ale, which is what it is bottled as in the US but is properly labeled as Jenlain Ambrée. This is one time even I, as fond as I am of ribbing all things Frankish have to stand back and say well done.

It came from where?Posted by Hello

My expectations of this ale where low due not only to it’s country of origin but also the extreme age of the bottle in front of me. However, I would have been satisfied had the bottle been labeled Rouge. It is an excellent brew. Strong, rich, with a dash of citrus to hide the malts and just a hint of spice. This is a serious ale. It’s more an after dinner drink than a typical ale would be, and at 7.5% it’s easy to understand why. It’s full bodied complexities are a rare find in any bear and leans near towards the barley wine category in taste. Merveilleux!

Brewery: Brasserie Duyck
Year: 1922
Origin: France
Style: Ale/Barley Wine
Content: 7.5%
Rating: Superb
Recommendation: If you are really into Ales don’t pass this one up.

2 Comments:

At May 25, 2005 2:01 PM, Blogger Dublin Saab said...

It is imported by:

Shelton Brothers
P.O. Box 486
Belchertown, MA 01007

phone: 413.253.0500

 
At May 28, 2005 5:20 PM, Blogger JPS said...

The malty-but-spicy bit is a trademark of many Belgian and French ales. They're exactly what you say: ideal after-dinner beers. They're often too sweet for my palate to have more than one, but the wonderful seasoning of some of then, like this one (which is now on The List), makes them more akin to wines or entrees on the consumption spectrum. I may give that number a ring myself.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home