Dublin Saab

Cars, politics, sports and what not from my view. (Closed Sundays and Holidays)

Monday, August 08, 2005

BOTD: Schneider Weisse "The Original"

Today we have another German hefeweizen for our taste enjoyment. This bottle was purchased along with the previous BOTD and looked to have some age. The bottle claims that this is the original German hefeweizen ale and from the dust on the bottle I’m inclined to agree.

At only $2.49 for a 500ml bottle this is a must try dark summer beer.Posted by Picasa

After dusting the bottle off and opening it I was quickly greeted with a strong nose that carried hints of toasted malt. Then when I poured it out and saw how dark the beer was I began to worry the beer had gone bad sometime during the Truman administration, as wheat beers simply aren’t that dark. Braced for the worst I took a big sniff and found citrus and spice joining the malt. The taste was weizen heaven. I was astonished with the balance of flavors the old bottle had managed to maintain and rather sad when the bottle was finished.

Brewery: G. Schneider & Sohn
Year: 1872
Origin: Germany
Style: Hefe Weizen
Content: 5.2%
Rating: Two big thumbs up.
Recommendation: A good choice for those looking to try a weizen for the first time and don’t want to play around. It’s one of the best wheats I tasted.

4 Comments:

At August 09, 2005 2:58 PM, Blogger Dublin Saab said...

According to their web site they do carry Schneider Weisse. I have only been to the WL up on Coventry and not the only in Columbus. Is the one down here any good?

 
At August 09, 2005 3:31 PM, Blogger JPS said...

Yes. We carried that beer at World Market, and it's like Germany's apology for WWII. It's one of the best beers I've ever drank. Glad you got to try it.

 
At August 10, 2005 12:18 AM, Blogger Dublin Saab said...

A new one oh Bethel you say? Where is it located on Bethel?

 
At August 10, 2005 10:49 PM, Blogger Dublin Saab said...

Yes, shame on you for talking about beer! tsk tsk. That aside I have never been to the Elevator place. I've heard good things but never made it down yet. When it's brew pub night I seem to end up at Barley's each time. My hangout is the St. James, a tiny place with things like, Bells Two-Hearted, Bells Oberon (wheat) and Avery's Gonzo (9.7%) on tap, and most beers are only $3. I think it's only $3.50 for Fin du la Monde and $4 for Chamay. I might even be there tomorrow night with a friend after classes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home