Dublin Saab

Cars, politics, sports and what not from my view. (Closed Sundays and Holidays)

Sunday, February 05, 2006

Thumbs UP: 2007 Nissan Versa

A few years ago it seemed like the subcompact car segment was due to fade away in the US. Things change. Welcome the 2007 Nissan Versa to what is shaping up to be one mighty vicious dog fight in the subcompact segment in the next few years.

The 2007 Nissan Versa


From my first look at the show I’d say Nissan is coming to play. The Versa has attractive styling without being too cutesy or too weird. The wheels of the Versa fill out the side profile very well, making the Versa look more upscale than the larger, more expensive Sentra.

One nice interior for the segment, except that little nubbin sticking out to the lower left of the steering wheel.


The interior of the Versa is very well put together, nothing feels cheap on the inside, however one big problem looms. The center stack hangs low from the bottom of the dash and creates a little squared off bit of plastic that, when the seat is adjusted correctly, vies for the same area of space my knee should be occupying. The only way I could comfortably drive this car is to have the seat father back that I would like and making it impossible for anyone to sit behind me. I could not buy this car.

The rear of the Versa looks sporty. Also the low tailgate is a nice functional touch.


The problem is I’m only 6 foot so there will be many people that will end up in the same camp as I. This saddens me because I give the Versa a thumbs up and wish I could put it on my list.

3 Comments:

At February 06, 2006 12:59 AM, Blogger Nightcrawler said...

I still don't understand why compact car makers can't find a way to accomodate us giants in the United States. I have a Sunfire and it provides ample room for those of us who are long legged. It seems the Asian manufacturers can't fathom someone being over 5' 8".

 
At February 06, 2006 1:36 AM, Blogger Dublin Saab said...

Well, in defense of Nissan while the Versa is an all new car, it was not originally planned to have it brought to the US market. The Versa is coming as a reaction to both the increase in fuel costs in the US, increasing demand for more fuel efficient cars, and most importantly to take part in the fight against Chinese manufacturers getting a foothold in the US.

So, I do believe you are correct that it wasn’t designed with taller people in mind, and now you know why.
PS: I thought you might have a GM product with your guy charging you $15 for a rotor, which is cost, so you had better send that guy a Christmas card.

 
At February 06, 2006 10:10 AM, Blogger Nightcrawler said...

Christmas card my ass! He's getting $1,400.00 for dropping a new motor in that damned Sunfire! He can buy his own damned Christmas card!

Actually, he's good people. I have a pretty honest mechanic, how cool is that?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home