Dublin Saab

Cars, politics, sports and what not from my view. (Closed Sundays and Holidays)

Saturday, May 28, 2005

BOTD: Tilburg's Dutch Brown Ale

This is one of… No. Scratch that. This is the most disturbing beer I have ever run across. For starters it’s Dutch, which most likely means skunk, but it is a brown bottle. Second it’s a brown ale, not my favorite. Third, the picture on the bottle is of a blue bird man sitting on a throne, wearing a giant kettle on his bird head, while shoving a naked man half way down his beaky bird mouth and all the while smaller black birds are issuing forth from the naked, half eaten man’s ass. WTF?

It's a detail from the Garden of Earthly Delights. Freak.Posted by Hello

The beer pours foamy. The nose from it is rich in malt – it is a brown ale – but carries with it a hint of spice. That is however as far as the spice goes but the good news is a complete lack of skunk. There is a little tartness on the initial taste but from there on you are drinking a thickly malted ale. The lesson for me is that I’ll like a brown ale when birds fly out of my ass.

Brewery: Bavaria
Year: 1719
Origin: Holland
Style: Brown Ale
Content: Unknown, but not weak
Rating: Midling
Recommendation: For all fans of malt it’s worth a taste.

5 Comments:

At May 29, 2005 1:30 PM, Blogger JPS said...

My gig with brown ales (obviously not my favorite either) is that they need a spiciness (like Chimay) or some king of hop astrigency to add balance to the malty sweetness. However, most brown ale people aren't looking for those things, and so that kind of ale is hard to find. I'm usually better off just drinking something else.

 
At May 29, 2005 10:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So after this review I googled the ale's name and came up with this review:
http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/184/9946/

The comments are reminiscent of this new BOTD feature! I have an exceedingly difficult time believing that you or any of these other chaps can actually discern "some dark fruits" or "hints of wheat". I think this is the Emperor's New Clothes mentality, with wild descriptions born of imagination and the pursuit of clout among peers, and not taste sensations.

 
At May 30, 2005 3:13 AM, Blogger Dublin Saab said...

Well what to say after being called a lair? I guess you are left with two options, the first is to believe that some people can discern slight flavors in a beer that unfortunately your palette is not able to, or that the nation of Yemen does not exists, since you only believe in things you can personally corroborate with your own personal sensory experience – and I bet you haven’t been to Yemen.

 
At May 30, 2005 12:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Egads, what a pompous ass. (Not you DB). Like Mr. brave anonymous poster, I cannot discern subtle tastes between beers, an amber richness that gives way to a hint of cherry aftertaste followed by a quick glimpse of a British bitterness to cleanse the palette, or whatever. But that's my problem, not yours.

With his logic, no one has ever had sex, just because he hasn't.

 
At May 30, 2005 2:03 PM, Blogger JPS said...

I'm a Jack kinda guy myself (which may be state law where I'm from), but I can't rule out a taste experience just because I haven't had it. You're a jackass, anon, who's rudely picking fights with (I imagine) a complete stranger, sort of like I'm doing now. But then again, to argue as a six-year-old, you started it.

Hamel, you riposte was superb.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home