Dublin Saab

Cars, politics, sports and what not from my view. (Closed Sundays and Holidays)

Wednesday, May 25, 2005

BOTD: Augustiner Edelstoff

Brewed in München (Munich) in the heart of Baveria this beer is true to all that one should expect from those who obey the Reinheitsgebot. The Edelstoff is not a beer that can easily be classified in modern US beer categories, which makes sense considering the brewery has been around since 1328, the late friggin middle ages. They must be doing something right.

Germans got one thing right.Posted by Hello

The beer is a bit of a cross between a Pils and a Weis. As you can see in the picture the beer has a certain cloudiness one would associate with a Weisbier, however there is a level of crispness you don’t. The nose is floral with strong hints of citrus. As you first take a drink it comes in kicking with a citrus tartness that finishes into a crisp pop leaving little aftertaste. Which as things are is sad as the taste you have in the middle is worth keeping around. A lighter yet full bodied beer style that is hard to come by in the US.

Brewery: Augustiner
Year: 1328
Origin: Germany (Baveria)
Style: Münchner Bier (part weis, part pils)
Content: n/a
Rating: Superb
Recommendation: Worth getting your hands on some. Excellent with spicy foods or on a hot day.

3 Comments:

At May 26, 2005 1:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since you obviously know your beers, here are a couple questions:

1) What's a port?
2) What's your take on Canadian beer? I've never had a beer, be it a microbrew or import or whatever, that rivals Moosehead. Labbat is good stuff, too. Bass comes very, very close.
3) With that in mind, I'm up to try something new. What would you recommend I try. I'll give whatever you say a whirl, use myself as a guinea pig, and report back to you. For what it's worth, I hate domestics, as they're typically far too watery, and Guinness is like drinking driveway tar, at least to my taste buds.

 
At May 26, 2005 2:33 AM, Blogger JPS said...

I promise when I reach the weekend I'll give some feedback on the flurry of activity. I have little time at present, but you understand that.

 
At May 28, 2005 5:11 PM, Blogger JPS said...

That beer sounds pretty damn good. Where did you find it? I'll have to look into its NC availability. So far, I've only found one decent beverage store in my area, and it doesn't sell single beers (a shame, really).

I suppose I could do something hopelessly last-century and archaic like flipping through the phone book.

But anyway, German beers (usually brown-glass stored)) are seldom stale; I had every whacked-out, obscure beer at World Market and never had much of a problem, Rheinheitschkebot (I'm sure I spelled that wrong)or not. (By the way, that law doesn't actually exist anymore--EU common standards, and what not.) Oddly, Belgians were also typically fresh (also brown-glassers, though). I'm really not sure what Holland's problem is (think Heineken, Petersbrand, Bavaria [makes no sense, I know, but is Dutch], Tuborg, Amstel--all skunkers) making something that can keep past a week. Perhaps they might want to try this new-fangles pasteurization thing?

Keep the reviews coming.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home